Sciatica refers to the pain that is felt along the sciatic nerve’s path, which branches from the lower back through the hips and buttocks and down each leg. Typical sciatica only affects one side of the body.
4 types of Sciatica
- Acute sciatica is the least serious kind of sciatica. It is the initial stage of pain. The first 4-8 weeks of sciatic nerve pain are part of this acute sciatica. The pain is bearable, and the patient can manage it. There is usually no need for medical attention.
- Chronic sciatica is the persistent sciatic nerve. It lasts for more than eight weeks and is not bearable. It requires medical attention.
- Alternating sciatica is sciatic nerve pain where both the legs are subject to pain but alternately. This is not a common type of sciatica, and the cause can be degenerative problems in the sacroiliac joint.
- Bilateral sciatica is sciatic nerve pain where both legs are subject to pain simultaneously. This is also a rare type of sciatica, and the cause can be degenerative changes in the vertebrae or the disc at several spinal levels. The reason can also circle around cauda equina syndrome.
Causes of Sciatica
- The fundamental reason for Sciatica is the sciatic nerve becoming pinched, either by a herniated disc in the spine or by bone spur on the vertebrae. Not very commonly, the nerve can be compressed by a tumour or damaged by disease. A few factors that increase the chance of you having Sciatica-
- Age– This is the most common cause of Sciatica as age changes the spine. Herniated discs and bone spurs are a common phenomenon.
- Obesity: Putting a lot of constant weight on your spine can also change your range.
- Lifestyle: If you have a job which requires you to carry heavy loads on your shoulders, drive for hours on end, twist your body, etc., it might trigger Sciatica.
- Posture– if you keep sitting for long periods of time and do not have an active schedule, then you have more risk of sciatica than the ones who do.
- Diabetes– This disease affects your usage of blood sugar. This can cause nerve damage, leading to sciatica.
There might be many ways for sciatica treatment. One such successful method is chiropratic method. Chiropractors are specially trained to deal with spine. The main goal of chiropractic treatment is to give the body best conditions to heal itself without any surgical implications. Various methods used by the chiropractors are as follows-
- The ice/cold therapy to use sensations.
- Ultrasound helps produce and distribute heat throughout the tissues and muscles to help with any kind of circulation and stiffness, cramping, muscle spasms and swelling, if any.
- TENS is a muscle stimulating machine. It uses electrical current of various intensities to reduce muscle spasms and control acute pain.
- Spinal manipulation is the main method for chiropractors to make spinal adjustments. It encourages movement that may be painful in the starting but later on, the spine goes back to normal functioning, the pain is reduces, the nerve irritation is gone. It restores misaligned vertebral bodies to their correct positions.
If you are suffering from Sciatica and you are looking for an orthopaedic clinic, Orthocure clinic in Gurgaon is the best choice you have. We have Gurgaon’s only licensed Chiropractor Doctor & Spine Specialist – Dr Solenee de Waverechin from France. We use advanced diagnostic methods that include the latest technologies. We correct the problems from their roots so that they never come back. We try our best not to use any surgical methods. We are specialized in orthopaedic problems. Our 4 point protocol has 95% success rate. The patient always walks out of the clinic satisfied.