Health is very important for any human being and today’s lifestyle and unhealthy eating habits makes us weak and disease-prone. We should be very careful about our health and take appropriate diet to keep our bones, joints, muscles and whole body healthy. Because, sometimes our carelessness leads to a complicated medical condition. Among the number of diseases, one of them is “knee pain”.
Knee pain is generally a common health issue. It can arise to anyone among men, women or teenage children but it can easily be cured beside few serious injuries.
The knee is a crucial joint that bears a large amount of stress from activities like running, jogging, lifting, kneeling, etc. This part carries the whole weight of the body and has to do large participation in everyday activities.
What is Knee Pain?
Knee consist of three parts
- Tibia – This is the larger bone of lower leg also known as Shinbone.
- Femur – Upper leg bone called as Thigh bone.
- Patella – It covers both the bones like a cap known as the Knee cap.
Knee pain often arises due to physical restriction and the knee pain treatment depends on the actual underlying cause. Knee pain can be caused due to any physical activity, it can be triggered due to any injury in foot, muscles, ligaments.
What are the Symptoms?
This pain becomes serious when it becomes severe and then the only doctor can help in the right direction. The severity of knee joint pain can vary, it can be minor ache to disabling pain like
- If you start limping due to discomfort.
- Difficulty in bending the knees.
- Difficulty in walking steps up and down.
- Difficulty in weight-bearing.
- Difficulty in extending the knee.
- Swelling and redness around the knee.
All the above mentioned are the symptoms and signs of knee joint pain.
What are its types?
Medical Causes – if a person is suffering from diseases like Rheumatoid arthritis, gout, an infection like Septic Arthritis, Osteoarthritis, etc. Then under the supervision of the doctor, the patient can be cured of medical conditions.
Acute Injury – Under acute injury fracture in a bone, meniscus tear or torn ligaments, dislocation such conditions come. And by proper medical treatment, these injuries and bone can be repaired.
Chronic use conditions – It can be caused due to stress under the patella or inflammation of tendons, heavy exercises, prepatellar bursitis. All these conditions lead to severe pain.
Other factors may be Overweight, exercise, overuse of muscles or repetitive movement may lead to knee pain.
How is the diagnosis done by doctors?
Knee joint pain can be diagnosed by physical examination and by discussing the symptoms and nature of the knee pain like how long and severe the pain is etc.
In the examination, various movements will be performed to check and evaluate the stability of ligaments, any swelling or tenderness. This will help in diagnosing the underlying cause to start treatment.
Generally, in examination doctors prefer
X-ray examination – For fracture or degenerating knee changes.
MRI – To detect soft tissues for ligament tears or muscle injury.
Blood Test – To detect Gout, Arthrocentesis or any other infection.
Generally, knee pain treatment can be done by a primary care doctor/physician. If the knee pain needs further treatment an orthopedic surgeon will be required. And for inflammation, gout, arthritis a Rheumatologist will be required.
How is the knee pain treatment done by the specialist?
The Knee pain treatment varies with the cause of pain
INJECTIONS – In some of the cases of arthritis and inflammation in knee injecting medications might help in pain. After repetitive doses of Corticosteroid (only if its doctor prescribed) injection can help in reducing pain and enable movement.
PHYSICAL THERAPY – For strengthening of muscles and for more stable and best mechanical movements Physical Therapy will be best. Under the supervision of skilled and experienced Physiotherapist, one can help in overcoming pain and avoid injuries.
MEDICATIONS – For primary knee pain treatment, medications are sufficient to treat the underlying knee problem. Some of the most commonly used NSAIDs (Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications are prescribed to patients for knee problems like arthritis, tendonitis, etc. Other than NSAIDs doctors recommend Tylenol, Cymbalta, Topical capsaicin. These medicines generally refer to osteoarthritis patients.
For Rheumatoid arthritis, DMARD (Disease-modifying anti-rheumatic drug) are prescribed, for Gout flare oral steroid and Antibiotics for infected knee joint.
Our therapies like Needling and Cupping is also used to treat knee pain.
What are the types of knee surgeries by the orthopedic doctors?
– Sometimes surgery is the only solution and patient suffering from severe pain or hardships during movement of legs then orthopedic Surgeon should be consulted and also surgery will be the ultimate solution for the problem.
Knee surgery varies from total knee replacement to Arthroscopic knee surgery:
Total Knee replacement – In this surgery total knee is replaced by an artificial joint. It generally occurs above the age of 50 due to loss of cartilage.
Partial Knee replacement – In this surgery, only the damaged part of the knee is replaced with metal/plastic body. During this procedure, only the damaged part is treated so that the patient get recover soon.
Arthroscopic knee surgery – it is a common surgery in which surgeon repair the injuries inside the knee with the help of a fiberoptic camera and remove pieces of small bones or cartilage.
Collectively we can say that surgery is used for
- Chronic Knee dislocation
- Knee fractures
- For certain infected knee joints
- In the case of Osteoarthritis
- For ligament injuries
How can I get rid of knee pain?
For mild or moderate issues you can treat yourself at your home. This will often work out for removing pain
- When you are sitting or lying down, with a pillow under your heel elevate your knee. This will give relief in Swelling.
- Another remedy you can use bandage or strap to cover your joint, this will give you support and cut down Swelling or inflammation in knee joint.
- Give rest to your body, avoid exercise or intense workout, this will give relief to your joints and help muscles to relax which ultimately results in pain relief.
- Use ice-packs on your joints for 20-25 minutes. This cold fermentation release stiffness of muscles and give relief in pain.
- Do stretching exercises (only after doctor recommendation) for the strengthening of muscles.
- If you are a sports person wear knee pads.
- And at last but not least if you are overweight then this could be your reason for knee pain, so lose weight.
Above all, it is utmost important to know the actual cause of symptoms before going treatment program. Always do treatment under the supervision of medical Expert and advice from the doctor before any knee pain treatment plan.
How Orthocure Clinics Can Help You?
We have successfully treated Knee pain of all types successfully using our researched & integrated approach. Our advanced techniques an technology have given us a high number of happy patients who are leading an active life after taking treatment from us. We would like to let you know how we satisfy your expectations.
- Soft tissue release relaxes the muscles & improves blood circulation especially used for knee injuries.
- Matrix Therapy uses rhythmic microscopic motions for fluid circulation to relax the muscles.
- Laser Therapy uses a single wavelength of light to give pain relief, accelerated tissue regeneration and also reduction of inflammation.
- Mulligan’s mobilization is a powerful technique to help with the range of knee motion
- Strength Training & Exercises are done using therabands and Weights. Advanced techniques are used for sensitive patients.
- Chiropractic Adjustment: Simple treatment alone cannot help you. That is why we give chiropractic adjustments to ease pain and correct the posture. This treatment is found only at our Clinic in Gurgaon.
Our Locations in Gurgaon
DLF Phase V (Gurgaon)
SPO 214, Office Block, 2nd Floor,
South Point Mall, DLF Phase 5,
Golf Course Road,
Timings : Mon-Fri : 8.00 AM – 8.00 PM
Sat : 8.00 AM – 4.00 PM
Phone : 9821451214